- 20 Things To Consider Before Having Microdermabrasion
- Why do you choose organic?
- Can an alkaline diet give you beautiful skin?
- Pathogens in cosmetics: how to avoid contaminating your skin care products
- 7-minute workout app: a new mum's best friend
- HAIR BREAKAGE: 4 FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- 17 frightening facts you should know about skin care products
- New Year's Resolutions: 5 keys to reigniting love in your life
- REBIRTH: Mukti Organic Skincare’s newest incarnation is beautiful inside and out
- Why our biophotonic glass will make you happy
6 natural and organic summer skin care solutions
Categories: BeautyFebruary 02, 2015 | Posted by Mukti
1. Heat Rash
CAUSE: Excessive perspiration and sweating causes the oil glands to become blocked, resulting in the surrounding tissues becoming irritated and red with tiny, itchy red bumps and blisters forming, especially where there is friction.
SOLUTION: The best and most immediate cure is a cold shower or cold compress applied immediately to the affected area. Avoid using harsh soaps that are alkaline and instead opt for Mukti Organics Pink Grapefruit Bodywash that is pH balanced. You can also air dry the area rather than creating further friction by rubbing with a towel. Heat rash usually disappears after a few hours. Antihistamine will ease the rash and itch if it persists.
- Minimise sun exposure.
- Choose lightweight natural and breathable fabrics that allow the sweat to be absorbed and evaporate.
- Avoid heavy, oily creams that might block the sweat ducts and instead opt for a light body moisturiser like our Pink Grapefruit Body Lotion.
CAUSE: A build-up of oil, dirt, sweat and sunscreen inhibit the natural transpiration process by clogging the pores and causing blemishes and breakouts.
SOLUTION: Avoid touching your skin, especially with unclean unhands. Touching a pimple or pustule by bursting the gland causes distress and pushes bacteria further into the skin, creating more traumas. To reduce inflammation and draw away the redness, apply our Clarity Balm directly to the pustule after cleansing. It contains kunzea oil from the tea tree family, which has antiseptic and inflammatory properties to draw out and assist with healing. Once applied, the pimple should reduce in size within a few hours and gradually heal over the next three to four days.
- If your skin is oily and you have a tendency to break out more often in summer, then choose our Aloe Vera Moisturiser, which is oil-free and soothes and calms redness.
- If you are choosing products to cover up blemishes, make sure that they contain sebum regulating, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial ingredients such as Mukti Organics Tinted Moisturiser with Sunscreen.
3. Cold Sores
CAUSE: Cold sores are common and are caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1, which is carried by 50 percent of the adult population. It can lie dormant for years, but when it flares up it can cause blisters and is extremely contagious. After the cooler months, our immune systems may be compromised, leaving us more susceptible to cold sores in summer. They also flare up when we are stressed, run down, tired and exposed to sunlight prior to menstruating.
SOLUTION: As soon as you sense a tingling or painful feeling around the mouth, apply ice to the area to help reduce the symptoms. Take lysine orally if you are more prone to breakouts, it suppresses arginine, slowing down the reproduction of viral cells.
- Vitamins C, A, E and B6 supplements can assist in fighting infection, while zinc oxide found in our Tinted Moisturiser with Sunscreen can assist with protection and accelerating the healing process when applied directly to the sore.
- Avoid kissing and wash hands regularly with an antibacterial sanitiser, such as Mukti Organics Lemon Myrtle Hand Wash.
- A topical anti-viral ointment may also be required.
CAUSE: Sunburn happens when we are overexposed to the sun's ultraviolet or UV rays. Our body reacts to the exposure by producing melanin to protect the skin from damage. The amount that is produced is genetically predetermined and can only offer a certain amount of protection. Over 80 percent of UV light passes through the clouds, causing sunburn to occur even on overcast days. Sunburn is painful and can cause irreparable damage to the skin's DNA and add to the ageing process and skin mutations that may lead to skin cancer and other disorders.
SOLUTION: Use fresh aloe vera gel straight from the plant. Cut a stem and place in the fridge. Once chilled, fillet the skin and apply the gel directly to the skin. Use a cold compress prior to applying a lotion.
- Soaking in a cool bath with half a cup of oatmeal and milk works as an anti-inflammatory and soothes and relaxes itchy, painful skin.
- Air-dry the area and apply our Aloe Vera Moisturiser.
- Use Mukti Organics Age Defiance Night Serum to assist with sun damage and skin lightening.
5. Insect Bites
CAUSE: Warmer weather means less clothing and more exposure to the elements. Mosquitoes and sandflies are more prevalent during the warmer months and if you're close to the water or bushland.
SOLUTION: Use Mukti Organics Nature Balm as a natural repellent that is suitable for the whole family. Apply as required to extremities, dab on the ear lobes and avoid the face. The actives are a synergistic blend of essential oils that not only smell delicious; they will keep biting creatures at bay and sooth bites. Avoid using toxic insect sprays, DEET-based formulas and other chemical concoctions.
- If the area is red and inflamed, you can make an anti-inflammatory treatment by crushing aspirin and dissolving in water to create a paste. The salicylic acid reduces swelling and redness and can also be applied to ingrown hairs as well as bites and stings.
6. Razor Burn
CAUSE: Scraping the top layer of skin with a razor can cause abrasions, nicks, ingrown hairs and the legs; underarms and bikini area can be left red and sore from the friction that is created.
SOLUTION: Opt for a quality blade and change it after 6-10 uses, making sure it is clean by running under hot water prior to and whilst using. Our Marigold Hydrating Crème contains calendula, vitamin E, gotu kola and chamomile and will assist with soothing and calming redness and irritation associated with shaving. Rashes usually dissipate after several hours.
- Avoid scratching with fingernails as the bacteria can cause further irritation.
- Avoid products that contain alcohol and artificial fragrances that dry and clog the pores.
Hi, I'm Mukti, the founder and creator of Mukti Organics. My aim is to assist you in achieving beautiful, radiant skin without using products containing toxic chemicals. Certified organic skin care is better for you, your family and our planet. Click here to sign up and receive 15% off your first order. Signing up and commenting on our blog posts enters you into our bimonthly draw to receive $150 worth of products of your choice.