- 20 Things To Consider Before Having Microdermabrasion
- Why do you choose organic?
- Can an alkaline diet give you beautiful skin?
- Pathogens in cosmetics: how to avoid contaminating your skin care products
- 7-minute workout app: a new mum's best friend
- HAIR BREAKAGE: 4 FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- 17 frightening facts you should know about skin care products
- New Year's Resolutions: 5 keys to reigniting love in your life
- REBIRTH: Mukti Organic Skincare’s newest incarnation is beautiful inside and out
- Serums, elixirs, oils, moisturisers – what's the difference?
How to have younger skin with one easy change
Categories: Beauty, Our ProductsJuly 28, 2016 | Posted by Mukti
The primary reason skin ages, other than the process of biological ageing – the breakdown of collagen and elastin and the slowing down of cell turnover – is shining down on you like a beacon from above.
Yes, sunshine gives you necessary vitamin D and sustains all life as we know it. We love that, keep up the good work, sun.
Unfortunately, the sun is not only your friend, it's also your number one enemy if you want younger skin. Ultraviolet (UVA & UVB) rays account for up to 80% of skin ageing. That's huge, right? You can’t even feel or see these rays as they pass through the ozone layer and kiss that perfectly young skin of yours. But later in life, the damaging effects of exposure to sunlight when you were a babe in the woods, will most certainly reveal itself.
Infrared radiation (IR) from the sun creates free radicals and accelerates the deterioration of those all-important collagen and elastin fibres in your skin by speeding up oxidation. It changes the way your skin cells divide and make chemicals by over producing melanin, the skin's natural mechanism to protect against sun damage.
The upshot? Too much sun exposure and you can kiss your dermis dreams of younger skin goodbye, because it results in an uneven complexion, pigmentation and more lines and wrinkles.
Note to self: being brown from sunbathing does not necessarily equate to health.
Too much unprotected sun exposure also tampers with the protective function of the skin and causes DNA damage to skin cells. This results in rough, parched, wrinkled skin and lesions (malignant and non-malignant).
Prolonged sun exposure also causes dryness and sensitivity by disrupting the normal functioning of the sebaceous (oil) glands.
As we age, collagen production naturally decreases, which means your skin's ability to repair itself is also impaired. This process is called solar elastosis. It impacts the structure of the tightly coiled elastin fibres so that they lose their flexibility and bounce and become fragile.
Studies have shown that repeated UV exposure makes you look older than your years, leaving you not with the younger skin you crave, but with:
- Dry and leathery skin texture
- Loose wrinkled skin
- Sunspots and freckles
- Thinning of and discolouration of the skin
- Skin growths and actinic keratosis
- Appearance of red blood vessels and capillaries
Get younger skin with simple lifestyle and dietary changes
So, the one easy change you can make starting from today in order to have younger looking skin is to stay out of the sun. It's a no-brainer, really.
Of course, we all need a bit of sunshine for vitamin D, but make sure you protect your delicate skin by wearing sunscreen, a hat, a long-sleeved cotton shirt or rashie, and sunglasses.
Ever seen photos of Madonna at the beach? She may as well be in space, she's so covered up she looks like an astronaut.
While ageing is a natural part of life, you do have some control over how fast your skin ages.
Following a diet high in protective antioxidants and vitamins will help you achieve younger skin. Increasing your intake of omega-3 fatty acids with flax seed oil and nuts, as well as tuna and salmon, provides anti-inflammatory and free radical protection.
Too much sugar causes cross-linking glycation. This is where chemical bridges are formed between proteins or other large molecules. A material that undergoes cross-linking usually becomes harder, less elastic and has a tendency to tear or crack. Cross-linking is responsible for hardening of a rubber mat or a garden hose left in the sun. In the ageing body, cross-linking contributes to hardening of arteries, wrinkling of the skin and stiffening of joints. For younger skin, cut down on refined sugar or cut it out completely.
Get younger skin with our magical new vitamin C serum: the elixir of youth
Vitamin C is the ONE ingredient every skin type needs. It protects against sun damage, and promotes collagen production. It also assists with evening out the skin complexion and addresses pigmentation and discolouration promoting an overall lightening and brightening effect.
We're really excited to announce latest edition to the Mukti Age Defiance Collection - our Vital C Elixir. It's your daily defence against IR and UV ageing. Our happy customers who've tried it have coined the term 'elixir of youth' to describe it.
Vital C Elixir is a potent botanical-based synergy that is rich in bioactive flavonoids, antioxidants and vitamins with a unique liposomal delivery system that allows for maximum penetration, deep hydration and results.
I've specifically formulated it to fight against and prevent photoaging (e.g. sun damage) and intrinsic ageing (e.g. the natural ageing process).
What you'll love about this product is that a tiny amount goes a long way. It's silky smooth when you apply it and it soaks right in. As usual, I've also pushed the active ingredients to their parameters and used them at the highest recommendations. It's one of the reasons it takes me so long to release these products. I want my age defiance collection to have a functional effect with lots of synergistic actives (after all I use them myself :)).
You can use this product on its own or apply prior to the age defiance day serum for an extra boost then follow with our tinted moisturiser with sunscreen for additional environmental protection.
I also use it at night underneath my night serum for the extra C hit. The percentage of plant based, stable and active C is around 15-20% and it is generally non-irritating because of the delivery system.
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP) – microencapsulated stabilised Vitamin C complex that acts as a powerful collagen stimulator enhanced by a phospholipid delivery system that penetrates the deeper dermal layers. Vitamin C can significantly reduce the appearance of aged skin and wrinkles and increase firmness to prevent premature skin ageing.
- Elix – IR – Knotgrass extract is rich in flavonoids. It specifically targets infrared (IR) and thermal (heat) induced skin ageing to protect the elastic fibres of the dermis from sun damage after repeated sun exposure. It clinically reduces the visible signs of photo-ageing by protecting the dermis and cells from UV and IR damage by increasing firmness and elasticity. Twice daily application of test subjects resulted in a reduction of wrinkle volume by 25.5% and roughness by 27.5%.
- Native Australian superfood extracts – Kakadu plum, finger lime caviar and desert lime – rich in bioavailable vitamin C and antioxidants to fight oxidative stress by boosting cell defences against free radicals.
- CoQ10 (ubiquinone) and Vitamin E (Tocopherol) – are two essential nutrients that work synergistically with vitamin C to rejuvenate the skin by protecting cells against oxidative stress. CoQ10 is found in the mitochondria of every cell in the body. Its essential roles are to act as a carrier and as an antioxidant to scavenge against the effect of free radicals. Combined with Vitamin E it acts in a synergistic way to protect cell membranes against oxidative stress. As we age, these two nutrients decrease, making supplementation necessary.
Our Vital C Daily Defence Elixir is now available for pre-order at a special introductory price.
Just log on to our website with the link above and use the discount code VitalC.
This offer is available for a limited time and while stocks last so get in quick.
And in case you are sitting on the fence in relation to the damage that the sun does to your skin, check out this video.
Are you a beach bunny who loves nothing more than getting baked on the sand? Or are you sun-shy and prone to cover up whenever the rays are shining? Share your thoughts on skin ageing and the sun in the comments section below. The best comment will win you a bottle of our new Vital C Elixir.
Hi, I'm Mukti, the founder and creator of Mukti Organics. My aim is to assist you in achieving beautiful, radiant skin without using products containing toxic chemicals. Certified organic skin care is better for you, your family and our planet. Click here to sign up and receive 15% off your first order. Signing up and commenting on our blog posts enters you into our bimonthly draw to receive $150 worth of products of your choice.