- 20 Things To Consider Before Having Microdermabrasion
- Why do you choose organic?
- Can an alkaline diet give you beautiful skin?
- Pathogens in cosmetics: how to avoid contaminating your skin care products
- 7-minute workout app: a new mum's best friend
- HAIR BREAKAGE: 4 FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- New Year's Resolutions: 5 keys to reigniting love in your life
- 17 frightening facts you should know about skin care products
- REBIRTH: Mukti Organic Skincare’s newest incarnation is beautiful inside and out
- Do you have an unhealthy obsession with healthy eating?
The best natural and organic sunscreen for your face – hands down
Categories: Beauty, Health and wellbeing, Our ProductsNovember 09, 2015 | Posted by Mukti
We believe you should wear sunscreen on your face EVERY DAY, and with that frequency of application, it's not a good idea to load your skin with the types of chemicals commonly found in mainstream sunscreens.
At present, scientists know more about the the effectiveness of sunscreen chemicals in shielding the skin from harmful UVA and UVA rays than about their toxicity. But some of the most commonly used sunscreen chemicals can cause irritation and skin allergies, as well as interfering with the body’s normal hormonal processes.
3 of the worst sunscreen chemicals
- Dioxybenzone and oxybenzone – these can disrupt hormone function.
- Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) – releases free radicals and damages DNA, has estrogenic activity and causes allergic reactions in some people.
- Benzophenone – a hormone disrupting chemical that interferes with thyroid function, lowers testosterone and may impact male fertility.
Does your sunscreen protect you against UVA?
Many of the mainstream sunscreens contain the kinds of chemicals that protect from the scary cancer-causing UVB rays, but they don’t actually protect against lower energy UVA radiation, which are responsible for aging the skin.
According to skincancer.org: "UVA, which penetrates the skin more deeply than UVB, has long been known to play a major part in skin aging and wrinkling (photoaging), but until recently scientists believed it did not cause significant damage in areas of the epidermis (outermost skin layer) where most skin cancers occur.
"Studies over the past two decades, however, show that UVA damages skin cells called keratinocytes in the basal layer of the epidermis, where most skin cancers occur. UVA contributes to and may even initiate the development of skin cancers.
"UVA is the dominant tanning ray, and we now know that tanning, whether outdoors or in a salon, causes cumulative damage over time. A tan results from injury to the skin's DNA; the skin darkens in an imperfect attempt to prevent further DNA damage. These imperfections, or mutations, can lead to skin cancer.”
Hooray for old-fashioned zinc!
Regular zinc oxide is one of the most broadly effective, established and safe sun blocking ingredients available. Its major disadvantage is unsightly whitish tint it creates. Nanoparticle forms of zinc are less unsightly but their potential risks are unclear and need to be more thoroughly researched.
We formulated what we believe is the best natural and organic sunscreen for your face using micronised zinc oxide in a tinted moisturiser, to counteract the zinc’s white tint.
Our Tinted Moisturiser with Sunscreen is a safe and effective sunscreen for your face with an SPF 15+ rating and is excellent to use every day as a base under your makeup. It moisturises and protects your skin and acts as a primer.
Finally, you’ve heard it before but there's no harm in saying it again. Always wear a broad-brimmed hat when you’re out in the sun, stay in the shade during the sun's strongest hours, wear a long-sleeved cotton shirt and good quality sunglasses to protect your eyes.
Our Tinted Moisturiser with Sunscreen is available in medium and fair tints and is on sale now for a short time.
Do you believe the chemicals in sunscreens are safe to use or do you go out of your way to look for natural and organic brands?
Hi, I'm Mukti, the founder and creator of Mukti Organics. My aim is to assist you in achieving beautiful, radiant skin without using products containing toxic chemicals. Certified organic skin care is better for you, your family and our planet. Click here to sign up and receive 15% off your first order. Signing up and commenting on our blog posts enters you into our bimonthly draw to receive $150 worth of products of your choice.