- 20 Things To Consider Before Having Microdermabrasion
- Why do you choose organic?
- Can an alkaline diet give you beautiful skin?
- Pathogens in cosmetics: how to avoid contaminating your skin care products
- 7-minute workout app: a new mum's best friend
- HAIR BREAKAGE: 4 FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- New Year's Resolutions: 5 keys to reigniting love in your life
- 17 frightening facts you should know about skin care products
- REBIRTH: Mukti Organic Skincare’s newest incarnation is beautiful inside and out
- Do you have an unhealthy obsession with healthy eating?
The natural cold and cough remedy I loved as a child
Categories: Health and wellbeing, RecipesJune 30, 2014 | Posted by Leigh
My mum had her own natural cold and cough remedy that as a child, made me feel better instantly.
There were no studies to prove it worked. It was just one of those little tonics that was passed on through the generations.
I believe it worked because there was a long line of mothers and grandmothers in my family who SAID it worked.
So, what was the remedy? Simple. A hot water, honey and lemon drink.
Any time I had a cold, cough or sore throat, my mum would make it for me. She'd just boil some water, let it cool a little, and stir in a teaspoon or two of honey and the juice of half a lemon. Then she'd feed it to me slowly on a teaspoon, like it was very special medicine.
And it was.
I'm convinced it had a psychosomatic effect that was part-physical and part-emotional — feeling nurtured and soothed on an emotional level can work wonders if you're feeling sick.
Honey and lemon: the perfect natural cold and cough remedy
It's not just the feel-good factor that makes honey and lemon remedies work wonders. Studies show the old lemon and honey combo helps sooth colds and coughs better than cough medicines.
One study found that children who had a dose of HONEY cough less and sleep better than those who use cough medicine contining dextromethorphan (DM), the ingredient in most cough medicines. DM cough medicines earn about $50 million a year and have been shown to have no benefit for kids.
Avoid the processed honey from the supermarket and go for the wonderful healing properties of Manuka honey or raw honey — both of which contain therapeutic properties, including potent antioxidant and anti-microbial action, and healing, analgesic, anesthetic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
LEMON is of course high in vitamin C. It quickly alkalises your body, supports the immune system and helps fight infection. It also complements the taste of honey perfectly.
You can also add GINGER to your natural cold and cough remedy to help relieve an upset stomach. It also helps to relieve a sore throat and bronchial inflammation.
Honey, lemon and ginger tea recipe
There's nothing like a soothing cup of honey, lemon and ginger tea when you're under the weather. Just slice up some ginger or grate about a tablespoon and add it to a teapot of boiling water. Slice up a whole lemon and add the slices to the teapot. Steep for ten minutes, then add two teaspoons of honey. Yum!
Honey and lemon cough syrup
1. Put a pint of raw honey in a pan on the stove on VERY low heat (Do not boil honey as this changes its medicinal properties).
2. Boil a whole lemon in a pot of water for for 2-3 minutes to both soften the lemon and kill any bacteria that may be on the lemon skin.
3. Let the lemon cool enough to handle, then cut it in slices and add it to the pint of honey on the stove.
4. Let mixture cook on warm heat for about an hour. Then strain the lemon from the honey, making sure all lemon seeds are removed.
5. Let cool, then bottle in a jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator. This syrup will keep for 2 months in the fridge.
To soothe a cough, children can take a teaspoon of syrup, 4 times a day. Adults can take 1 tablespoon doses.
Does your family have a time-tested natural cold and cough remedy that everyone treasures?
Join the discussion (3)
Jul 20, 2015 03:04pm
Tumeric, Onion, Ginger, Lemon and Honey is also great for colds!
Mar 30, 2015 09:08pm
Hi Mukti. My nana and mother would add a beaten egg white. It was supposed to help cough up the phlegm. It was the most delicious drink as a child but grosses me out now. My son feels the same magic now when he sips his honey and lemon(without the egg)and I feel like a real mum. I love the idea of offering it by the teaspoon. Bec
Hi, I'm Mukti, the founder and creator of Mukti Organics. My aim is to assist you in achieving beautiful, radiant skin without using products containing toxic chemicals. Certified organic skin care is better for you, your family and our planet. Click here to sign up and receive 15% off your first order. Signing up and commenting on our blog posts enters you into our bimonthly draw to receive $150 worth of products of your choice.