- 20 Things To Consider Before Having Microdermabrasion
- Why do you choose organic?
- Can an alkaline diet give you beautiful skin?
- Pathogens in cosmetics: how to avoid contaminating your skin care products
- 7-minute workout app: a new mum's best friend
- HAIR BREAKAGE: 4 FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- 17 frightening facts you should know about skin care products
- New Year's Resolutions: 5 keys to reigniting love in your life
- REBIRTH: Mukti Organic Skincare’s newest incarnation is beautiful inside and out
- Why our biophotonic glass will make you happy
How to get rid of puffy eyes: our top 10 tips
Categories: Beauty, Our ProductsMay 20, 2016 | Posted by Mukti
Bags, bags, bags. We don't mind them, but only if they're Prada. Under the eyes? Not so much. The simple truth is, puffy eyes ain't pretty and they can make you look tired and older than your years (thanks, but no thanks).
Before we look at how to get rid of puffy eyes, let's quickly look at their many causes: tiredness, crying, stress, genetics, hormonal changes, dermatitis, weather changes, sinusitis, hangovers, allergic reactions and poor diet are all culprits.
The fancy name for puffy eyes is periorbital puffiness – where excess fluid builds up in the connective tissues around the eye. You may suffer from it temporarily – when you're a sobbing mess after your favourite Game of Thrones character dies – or you may be genetically predisposed to the condition.
If you are predisposed to it, you might be able to reduce or completely get rid of your puffy eyes through diet and lifestyle changes. There is anecdotal evidence that Live Yeast Cell Derivative (LYCD), which is a peptide, can be effective in reducing puffy eyes. Other evidence suggests a low-carb diet can help get rid of puffy eyes through preventing water retention.
our top 10 tips to get rid of puffy eyes:
- Limit alcohol intake – Don’t drink into the wee hours of the morning. Swap out drink for drink with sips
of mineral water. Overdoing the grog can weaken and dilate blood vessels and
capillaries, creating more fluid retention beneath the eye area.
- Remove eye makeup gently – Use a damp cotton pad with a few drops of oil. Try using our Antioxidant Facial Oil Omega 3-6-9 as an anti-aging eye makeup remover that smells divine. The skin is fine and delicate around the eye area so
avoid pressing and rubbing.
- Limit salt and sugar – Eating too much salt and sugar can cause fluid retention, so be aware of the hidden salt in snacks, fast
food and any processed food. Become an avid label reader. If it's in a packet, your body can't hack it! (Unless it's a packet of chia seeds, nuts or seaweed. . .)
- Apply products gently – Place a small amount of your skincare product the size of a grain of rice on the ring
fingers, and use a gentle tapping and patting motion as opposed to dragging the
skin. Light pressure increases circulation and stimulates the lymph nodes to
drain fluid, and transport toxins away.
- Sleep time – Avoid sleeping on your stomach and sleep with your head slightly
elevated. This will assist drainage and prevent rubbing. Use a silk or copper-peptide enhanced pillow case. As obvious as it sounds, try to bed down by 10pm and aim for a
solid 7 to 8 hours. Your eyes will sparkle from within.
- Check your laundry detergent – Use fragrance-free laundry liquid to prevent sensitivities and
wash pillowcases frequently as sebum, sweat and dead skin cells accumulate on the
- Keep your distance – When applying eye products, focus placing the cream or serum on
the bottom of the brow and orbital bones rather than too close to the eyes. The
product will disperse naturally on its own.
- Make a natural eye mask – Use a fresh slice of cucumber or place some cooled chamomile tea
on cotton pads and gently place over the eyes to cool and refresh the eye area.
- Glug some agua – The easiest way to get rid of puffy eyes is to drink a great big glass or two of water. If you're well hydrated, there's less chance of water retention, which can contribute to the puff problem. Avoid caffeinated and carbonated drinks, which can be dehydrating, and go for pure water, which will also help flush out toxins.
- Chill out – Place a couple of teaspoons in the freezer until they're nice and cold then run them from the corner of the eye to the outer edge. If you're short on time, wrap an ice cube in a paper towel or flannel and gently dab under the eye to relieve any puffiness or swelling.
The 2 must-have products to help you get rid of puffy eyes:
1. Rosehip Eye Gel: This soothing gel is very light and hydrating, like liquid silk. It's infused with rosehip and contains active ingredients such as Emu Apple, Davidson Plum and Flame Tree (all bioactive native Australian extracts that are potent sources of antioxidants). It's specifically formulated to soothe puffy, tired eyes and tone and firm the delicate skin around the eye area.
2. Age Defiance Eye Serum: This is a more highly concentrated anti-aging serum, which will turbo-boost your efforts to get rid of puffy eyes. It's packed with extremely potent bioactive native Australian ingredients, and also contains the active peptides argireline, eyeseryl, hyadisine and serilesine. It tightens the skin around the eyes and reduces the appearance of wrinkles, but it also works on significantly reducing the volume of undereye bags and dark circles. Just a little of this baby under your eyes (I'm talking, half a grain of rice twice a day) and it will visibly plump the delicate skin around your eyes, smoothing it out.
Heavy is not necessarily better. Light serums are just as effective and absorb more readily.
Do you have more tips on how to get rid of puffy eyes you would like to share with our readers?
Hi, I'm Mukti, the founder and creator of Mukti Organics. My aim is to assist you in achieving beautiful, radiant skin without using products containing toxic chemicals. Certified organic skin care is better for you, your family and our planet. Click here to sign up and receive 15% off your first order. Signing up and commenting on our blog posts enters you into our bimonthly draw to receive $150 worth of products of your choice.