Men's Skincare Routine– Everything You Need to KnowBeauty
If you have an extensive and complicated at-home skin regime, your significant other may feel overwhelmed by the prospect of skincare. Men can be put off by the concept of skincare having to be complicated and prefer to keep their routines low maintenance. If this applies your male counterpart, we’re here to assure you that it doesn't have to be a 10-step routine. There are a few small additions that can make a big difference in the health and longevity of their skin.
Of interest, there are some key differences between men and women’s skin.
Is male and female skin actually any different?Many argue that skin is skin, irrespective of gender, and that having separate products for mens and womens is completely redundant. The most common differences in popular male vs female skincare are packaging and the fragrances used (men’s products tend to be more neutral or 'masculine' in their colour schemes and fonts, and usually contain woody, musky, earthy or spicy scents).
Physiologically speaking, the skin itself is indeed the same. However, there are some slight variations in composition and structure between male and female skin that are worth keeping in mind. In the majority of cases, male skin has slightly larger pores and is more prone to impurities and acne. Men generally also have more active sebaceous (oil) glands than women. This means the slightly larger pores tend to become filled with oil and waste products, resulting in more blackheads, congestion and breakouts.
Another key difference is thickness. Men tend to have a substantially thicker dermis. This may be why women are more prone to fine lines and wrinkles, as a thicker dermis (support structure) below the skin’s surface means less visible wrinkling of the surface. Which brings us to another key difference: collagen. Found in the dermis, this key protein structure starts to degrade in men sooner than it does in women, so it’s crucial for men concerned with ageing to start addressing this collagen loss before it becomes visible on the surface in the forms of deep wrinkles and loss of volume.
Lastly, another major difference is, of course, facial hair, which plays a role in the products used, when to use them, and how this coincides with any shaving routines.
Common Mistakes Men Make Looking After Their Skin
The most common oversight when it comes to men's skincare tends to be a lack of interest until they see the fine lines starting to develop. Many don’t see their skin as a priority, so either won’t notice any concerns at all, or if they do, aren’t motivated to address them.
Recommended Men's Skincare Routine
Start treating the skin as early as possible to preventing future ageing and damage. For a low-maintenance, ultra-simple routine we recommend the following products:
- Balancing Cleansing Gel – a gentle foaming cleanser ideal for regulating oil production. To use, moisten hands and face, emulsify between the palms, gently massage over the entire face and neck (particularly focusing on built-up, blackhead-prone regions) then rinse thoroughly. Use morning and night.
- 2-in-1 Resurfacing Exfoliant – a gentle scrub to reduce congestion, blackheads, breakouts and remove buildup of dead skin. Use 2-3 times per week. Apply to damp face, neck and décolletage, gently massage with the fingertips and leave on the skin for a few minutes to allow its exfoliating fruit acids to gently exfoliate further. Rinse with warm water.
- Marigold Hydrating Crème – After your serum, finish off with a moisturiser to lock all the nutrients in and prevent water loss. This rich, calming moisturiser can be used for normal to dry skin, plus you can even use it on dry hands, cuts or abrasions.
- Aloe Vera Moisturiser – if you’re more prone to oily skin, including blackheads and breakouts, opt for our lightweight, refreshing Aloe Vera-based moisturiser that works to soothe and calm sebaceous (oil) activity.
- Beard oil – those wanting to keep their beards soft, more manageable, and in peak condition can apply our Antioxidant Facial Oil. If you suffer from very dry skin, apply this rich treatment throughout the face to nourish both skin and beard. A curated infusion of superfood oils, this potent antioxidant elixir deeply sinks in generating cellular renewal and calming stressed out skin, and deeply softens and treats your facial hair.